We have deal on Cubed Ham/Pork steaks from Shane Lee Farms on the order page this week! Cubed Ham/Pork steaks are really a cut of fresh (raw) pork from the “ham” section of the pig. The steaks are tenderized by a special machine that breaks up the meat fibers, thus tenderizing the meat and increasing juiciness. The process allows the pork to absorb seasonings easily and makes its texture softer. The process imprints tiny cubes on the meat, which is the origin of the name “cube steak.”
If you have never prepared Cubed Ham/Pork steaks, the following recipe is easy and delicious.
Ham Steak with Dijon Herb Sauce:
Cubed Ham Steaks are very much like a pork chop without the bone. They can be prepared any way you would prepare a pork steak or chop, but here is one easy recipe:
1 T butter
2 Cubed ham steaks
3 T chopped onions/shallots
3/4 c chicken stock
1 T dijon mustard
2 T chopped herbs like chives, thyme, etc.
1. Heat butter in frying pan or skillet over low heat.
2. Season pork with salt and pepper (or your favorite seasoning mix).
3. Raise the heat to medium and add the pork to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
4. Turn the pork and cook for 2-3 minutes longer. Do not overcook! Pork should still be slightly pink inside when done.
5. Remove pork and keep warm.
6.Add onions to pan and saute for 2 minutes or until soft.
7. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil until stock reduces to about 1/2 cup.
8. Stir in the mustard and herbs.
9. Put pork on platter and pour sauce over meat.