Grilled fruit isn’t just for dessert, it is also a great addition to salads! This delicious summer salad pairs slightly charred, sweet, juicy watermelon with salty, creamy feta & pungent onions for a winning combination. You can introduce a little heat by serving it right after grilling the melon, but this isn’t a must. It is just as good when served cold!
• 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
• 1 tsp. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
• 1 mini watermelon
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 2 Tbsp. mint, chopped (about 8 leaves)
• 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
• Salt & pepper
1. Place sliced onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water and 1 tsp of vinegar. Soak 5 minutes, then drain and rinse. Drain on paper towels.
2. Slice watermelon into 1 inch thick slices. Keep the rind on for now, we will grill whole slices, then trim them down after grilling.
3. Prepare a medium-hot grill. Use 1 Tbsp of olive oil to brush the watermelon slices lightly. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, or until charred. Remove from heat. Cut watermelon flesh away from the rind. Slice into 1-inch chunks. Transfer to a large salad bowl.
4. Add onions, chopped mint, and feta cheese to watermelon. Let sit while you prepare dressing.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp vinegar. Pour dressing over salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve!